Campaigners have branded a decision to take no further action against the British Prime Minister over the "Partygate" scandal a "terrible insult."

Iran PressEurope: British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was fined by police on April 13 for attending a birthday party thrown for him in his official Downing Street residence in June 2020, when large indoor gatherings were banned.

He claimed in December that he had been assured: "There was no party and that no COVID rules were broken." It has since emerged he attended a number of events himself, including the party for which he was fined.

Downing Street revealed on Thursday that Johnson has revealed no further fines over his alleged breaches of lockdown regulations after the Metropolitan Police announced that it had concluded its investigation.

Johnson is said to be "pleased" that the investigation is completed and that he did not receive a second fine after a penalty was issued over his 56th birthday, PA Media reported.

The Prime Minister's official spokesman said: "The Met has confirmed that they are taking no further action with regards to the Prime Minister."

Announcing the end of its investigation online, the Metropolitan Police force issued a statement saying: "The Met has today announced the investigation into alleged breaches of COVID regulations at Downing Street and Whitehall, under Operation Hillman, is complete.

"In total, detectives have made 126 referrals for fixed penalty notices (FPNs) to the ACRO Criminal Records Office for breaches of COVID-19 regulations."

Campaigners who lost relatives during the pandemic have dubbed Thursday's decision a "terrible insult" and called for the immediate release of the report by senior civil servant Sue Gray, which is expected to be highly critical of Johnson.

216

Read more:

British PM Johnson faces more questions over personal spending